Title: Module assembly engineer
Reports to: System Design Manager
Employment type: Permanent
Location: Cambridge (UK)
FlexEnable’s award-winning flexible technology platform, together with our unique FlexiOM™ materials, brings transformational possibilities to products including AR and VR optics, ePrivacy screens, automotive smart windows and displays. The complete low temperature manufacturing process allows, for the first time, commonly available and optically ideal flexible bio-degradable substrates such as TAC film to be used instead of glass. This innovative technology is used to make active matrix flexible Organic Liquid Crystal Displays (OLCDs) and flexible active liquid crystal (LC) optical films which are thin, light and conformable to almost any surface.
Today FlexEnable has around 600 patents and patent applications globally for OTFT and LC cell materials, processes and architectures. The company has technology transfer programmes underway with several leading display manufacturers in Asia as well as commercial programmes with some of the world’s biggest brands in consumer electronics.
Main duties will include developing and maintaining fabrication processes for plastic electronics into consistent and reliable modules. The successful candidate will be able to develop and independently carry out processes for assembling flexible liquid crystal cells into form factor product prototypes. These processes include high precision lamination of optical films, ACF bonding of flexible films and silicon drivers and thermoforming plastic cells into 3D shapes. The role will also include initiating failure analysis investigations when needed. The candidate will contribute to technology transfer projects. This is a hands-on, practical role, working alongside inquisitive, innovative and exceptional engineers. The successful candidate will be able to make a strong and high energy contribution to the company, operating as a key member of the team, proactively contributing to Quality Control and driving excellence in Health & Safety.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- The position will require a BSc or higher in a relevant area complemented by experience working within electronic assembly processes in small scale pilot production line or production facility.
- Relevant technical process knowledge to allow the future development of key FlexEnable processes.
- Demonstrate a good understanding and working knowledge of plastic materials and metal films.
- Contribute to development and maintenance of liquid crystal assembly processes.
- Contribute to lamination and assembly of plastic modules
- Responsible for laser cutting processes.
- Responsible for ACF process developments.
- Perform basic reliability testing on engineering samples.
- Become involved in and lead continuous improvement teams, providing process and failure analysis knowledge and understanding to help resolve yield failures.
- Ensure proper operation of the equipment in collaboration with equipment engineers.
- Documenting of processes and training of operators.
Key personal qualities / skills:
- Interest and aptitude in hands-on fabrication of complex electronic modules
- Flexible approach to work in a dynamic and changing environment.
- High attention to detail when recording and reporting results/experiments.
- Strong problem-solving skills, the ability to approach tasks in a structured manner and the tenacity to resolve on-going process issues.
- Ability to work independently, manage and plan/prioritise workload and effectively manage time.
- Excellent interpersonal skill, including ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Team player.
- Willing to spent time abroad to transfer processes.
- High level of competency with MS Office and fluent in English (written and verbal).
- Knowledge of health and safety awareness.
How to apply:
Please email your CV and a covering letter using the button below: